Human Chorionic gonadotropin – (HCG) is a natural non-steroidal peptide hormone produced by the body of a woman after conception. The presence of hCG in the urine is a signal of pregnancy. In 1930, it was possible to isolate it from the urine of pregnant women. From this period, the active use of gonadotropin in clinical medicine and sports began. Over time, hCG was divided into types:
Follicle-stimulating and luteinizing HCG are especially popular in bodybuilding due to their ability to enhance fat burning and help restore normal levels of testosterone. Support for hormonal synthesis occurs through the activation of Leydig cells that produce physiological testosterone.
Not being an anabolic steroid, chorionic gonadotropin is quite in demand in a sports environment. It is used for general strengthening and rejuvenation of the body.
How does HCG affect the body?
The introduction of chorionic gonadotropin is carried out by intramuscular injection. After 4-12 hours, a maximum increase in its concentration in the blood occurs. The half-life of the active substance passes within 30 hours. HCG is excreted unchanged in the urine from the body.
It has a follicle-stimulating and luteinizing effect on the human body. The development of genital organs and signs. In women, ovulation occurs and the production of estrogen hormones is activated. The male body responds to hCG by enhanced spermatogenesis, the synthesis of testosterone and dihydrotestosterone.
Athletes often use anabolic steroids to achieve great results, but the mechanism of the relationship between the hypothalamus-pituitary-testes is disrupted. Chorionic gonadotropin regulates these processes:
- gonadoliberin production occurs in the hypothalamus, the element restores the level of gonadotropic hormones;
- gonadotropin is synthesized by the pituitary gland and affects the function of the testicles, with its deficiency testicular atrophy develops.
For this reason, chorionic gonadotropin is included in the list of drugs needed by male bodybuilders.
Effects of Using Chorionic Gonadotropin
In medical practice, hCG has the following effects:
- activates spermatogenesis mechanisms – increases the number of germ cells;
- increases the production of sex hormones in the male sex glands;
- contributes to the development of the reproductive system, the formation of secondary sexual characteristics;
- interferes with the reduction of testicles;
- in women – activates the synthesis of progesterone, stimulates ovulation, serves for the full development of the placenta.
With active sports, with the help of gonadotropin, other effects are achieved:
- an increase in the synthesis of testosterone;
- preserves the gained volume of muscle mass;
- helps to eliminate excess fat;
- enhances the effect of anabolic steroids;
- restores libido suppressed by anabolic steroids.
The peculiarity of the action of chorionic gonadotropin is to reduce body fat while maintaining weight and muscle size.
Who benefits from gonadotropin?
Indications for the use of chorionic gonadotropin can be:
- anovulatory ovarian dysfunction in women;
- dwarfism caused by pituitary insufficiency;
- late sexual development;
- dysfunctional bleeding in women;
- threatening spontaneous abortion;
- frequent miscarriages;
- unilateral or bilateral cryptorchidism;
- condition after genital surgery;
- male hypoganadoism;
- testosterone deficiency;
- some genetic diseases that affect sexual development;
- menstrual irregularities;
- ovarian dysfunction.
Contraindications to the use of hCG
Any hormonal drug has a number of contraindications, gonadotropin is no exception. HCG cannot be prescribed in the following cases:
- lactation period;
- malignant neoplasms;
- pituitary tumors – adenoma, adenocarcinoma;
- acute inflammatory diseases of the reproductive system;
- congenital absence of gonads;
- condition after surgical removal of the genitals, glands;
- teenage years;
- individual intolerance to the active substance;
- coronary artery disease;
- renal failure;
- early menopause;
- prostate adenoma;
- urethritis, prostatitis, vesiculitis;
- obstruction of the fallopian tubes;
- violation of blood coagulation mechanisms;
- insufficiency of the functions of the adrenal glands;
- hormone-active diseases of the reproductive system.
Chorionic gonadotropin is an unsafe hormone, so only a doctor can establish indications and contraindications for its purpose. Self-use can significantly aggravate the general condition of a person and damage health.
What side effects of hCG athlete can face?
The appearance of negative symptoms from taking chorionic gonadotropin occurs against the background of a significant excess of the recommended dosages or too long cycle. Among the side effects most often observed:
- a variety of allergic reactions;
- too early puberty in adolescents on the background of hormonal treatment of physical and sexual development disorders;
- degenerative changes in the structure of the gonads;
- atrophy of the seminiferous tubules;
- insufficient sperm in the ejaculate;
- testicular hypertrophy;
- chronic headaches;
- depressive state;
- changes in psycho-emotional mood;
- excessive acne;
- too high sexual desire;
- metabolic disorders in the tissues of the prostate gland;
- hypertrophy of the mammary glands in men;
- pronounced fluid retention in internal tissues;
- jumps in blood pressure;
- suspension of linear growth in young athletes;
- the formation of watery, loose muscles;
- the appearance of symptoms of “false pregnancy” – nausea, vomiting, an increase in the volume of the abdomen.
It should be noted that it is rarely possible to aggravate the processes of muscularization in women, increase body hair growth, and hair loss on the head according to the male type. Men may show signs of toxicosis that women experience during pregnancy.
A correctly selected dosage of gonadotropin does not cause side effects.
Chorionic gonadotropin intake programs
The opinions of sports doctors and trainers regarding the use of chorionic gonadotropin coincide. The best results are recorded with the introduction of chorionic gonadotropin into the body against the background of a cycle of anabolic steroids. Monitoring the condition of athletes taking hCG led to certain recommendations:
- When taking anabolic steroids for more than 6 months, the start of HCG intake should coincide with the start of reducing the dose of anabolic steroids. Thus, gonadotropin eliminates testosterone deficiency. The use of gonadotropin stops at the end of the steroid cycle.
- With a cycle lasting more than 3-4 weeks, a break in taking steroids must be 2-3 weeks. During this pause, hCG is administered. This approach provides an optimal level of testosterone in the body.
- If in the case of prolonged use of anabolic steroids, the athlete did not take chorionic gonadotropin, then it must be a part of post-cycle therapy. HCG is prescribed as an injection every other day. Total cycle is 20 days.
cycle for men
The dose of chorionic gonadotropin depends on the weight of the athlete. If the weight of a man is approximately 70 kg, from 1,500 units to 3,000 units per day is prescribed two days later on the third. If the weight is higher, the dosage is increased. The maximum permissible amount of hCG for men is 10,000 units per 1 injection.
cycle for women
Chorionic gonadotropin is prescribed to women, as a rule, for medical indications. Among the accepted programs, the following can be distinguished:
- 3000 IU 2 times every three days for three weeks;
- 1500 IU 7 times every other day for 5-6 weeks;
- 500 – 1000 units twice a week for 8 weeks.
Alternative Safe cycle
During the cycle of anabolic steroids, gonadotropin must be taken from 3rd week of taking anabolics. In this case, the dosage is 1000 or 1500 units, divided into two injections. Admission ends with the end of the use of steroids before starting post-cycle therapy.
For long cycles of anabolics
Quite often, athletes do not stop taking anabolic steroids for a long time. In this case, the rate of chorionic gonadotropin is three weeks once a quarter or once every six months. Injections are administered at 1,500 units once every four days.
Quick Recovery cycle
With active, rather long combined programs of anabolics, it is advisable to inject gonadotropin in a dosage of 1500 – 2500 IU once every 3 or 4 days. The cycle can be two to three weeks.
As part of post-cycle therapy
The introduction of chorionic gonadotropin in the cycle of PCT is necessary for the prevention of testicular atrophy, elimination of side effects of anabolic steroids and the preservation of muscle size. The positive effect of hCG helps to adjust the function of the axis of the hypothalamus – pituitary – testes.
cycle duration 30 – 45 days:
- Clomid – 50 mg twice daily from 1 to 30 days;
- tamoxifen – 20 mg per day from 1 to 45 days;
- gonadotropin – 2500 units every other day from 1 to 16 days.
Such a program is suitable for restoring hormonal balance after 12 weekly cycles of testosterone cypionate, nandrolone.
How to inject chorionic gonadotropin
There are two recommended forms of chorionic gonadotropic hormone: the form of subcutaneous or intramuscular injections. The drug is available in the form of a powder sealed in ampoules. For dilution use sterile water for injection or isotonic 9% sodium chloride solution. If the bottle contains 1000 PIECES of chorionic gonadotropin hormone, 1 ml is injected. After processing the ampoules with alcohol, with a syringe, the solvent is slowly introduced into the bottle with a powdery substance. Smooth introduction does not allow foam bubbles to form. The bottle is shaken until the powder is completely dissolved. The drug is ready to be injected. The same syringe can be used for injection, but the needle should be replaced.
The prepared gonadotropin solution can be used for two weeks if stored in the refrigerator. Gonadotropin can be stored in a sealed vial for three years. It is important to observe the temperature regime – not higher than 20 ° C, to exclude exposure to direct sunlight. Chorionic gonadotropin is available for purchase at the pharmacy chain. When choosing a drug, attention should be paid to the amount of active substance in units of action for further correct dilution.
Instead of conclusions
Chorionic gonadotropin is formed only in the body of a pregnant woman. The active substances obtained in laboratory conditions can significantly affect the state of both the female and male bodies. For use in sports, the most effective form of the drug is injection. The tablet form does not create the desired effect. This is due to the peculiarities of the absorption of components directly into the blood.
Most bodybuilders report positive results after a cycle of hCG in combination with anabolic steroids or as part of post-cycle therapy. Chorionic gonadotropin cannot be calculated as a means to eliminate the symptoms of aromatization. HCG alone cannot be used to achieve an effect similar to that of anabolic steroids. The introduction of the drug during the cutting allows you to achieve high results and get high-quality muscle relief.
It is impossible to obtain high physical and aesthetic results without the use of additional pharmacological preparations. When compiling sports cycles, you need the professional help of a specialist who has extensive experience working with hormonal drugs. Any program is compiled individually, taking into account the athlete’s indicators and the results of diagnostic studies.