Everyone dreams of a slim and fit body, but often not many have the time and money to go to the gyms. People use the excuse “I can’t afford a gym membership” to not work out or change their body. This is not acceptable. Who said anything about needing to go to the gym to workout? Here we will get into just how you can do variations of push-ups from your own home! So, what’s your excuse now?
Men, women, teens and those up in age can do push-ups to improve overall health. No one said you have to master all of the different types of push-ups. Just doing the classic technique (described below) will allow you to get stronger and more toned!
The benefits of push ups from the floor (push exercises)
This exercise belongs to the basic – when several muscle groups are exposed to activation:
- arms (biceps and triceps);
- abdominal muscles .
In the process of push-ups, it is possible to shift the emphasis to those muscle groups that you want to engage (triceps, shoulders and chest).
A feature of push-ups is that the activation of muscles occurs immediately after taking the starting position. Regular push-ups help enhance strength and increase stamina. It should be noted some more advantages of push-ups:
- the respiratory and circulatory systems are strengthened;
- metabolic processes improve;
- the body’s immune forces increase.
Thanks to regular training, even at home , muscle tone is significantly increased and muscle mass is enhanced. Not every exercise can boast of such results. The undoubted advantage of push-ups is:
- They can be done by everyone, anywhere;
- There are no special pieces of equipment needed
Where to start push-up workouts
Despite the apparent simplicity of the push-up technique, it is still worth considering a number of nuances:
- Train in moderation. Avoid overload especially in the first classes. In this case, it is quality that matters. Make sure you are serious about this workout.
- Do not rush to quickly get the result. Workouts with push-ups should gradually become more complicated, preparation for the next level of exercise can last several weeks. As soon as the muscles are strong enough and the required number of push-ups will be obtained easily, then you can increase the load.
- Observe breathing techniques. This plays an important role. Incorrect breathing techniques can disrupt the entire training process.
In order for the result from push-ups to be as effective as possible, you must adhere to the following recommendations:
- The number of repetitions in the first workout is not more than 10. This number may be quite low for some. But it is better not to burn out too quickly or put excess strain on the muscles too early in the game. As already mentioned, it is important to increase the pace in a gradual mode. At the end of the workout, pleasant fatigue should be felt, without a feeling of overstrain;
- Before push-ups, we strongly recommend performing a short warm-up lasting about 10 minutes along with some stretching exercises;
- Classes should be regular. Do not do long breaks, as all the result will go down the drain.
How many times do you need to do push-ups?
The question of how many push-ups should be sought, we answer – it is enough for women to push-ups 40 times, and men – 100. It is quite realistic to get these results in one and a half to two months with regular 15-minutes workouts. No one can give a person a definitive answer to this question though, in reality. We can provide advice or guidance and make suggestions based on your questions and/or training level but only you have the power to choose what works for you!
Carefully follow the push-up technique, the most important is the correct amplitude. So the result will come faster.
Types of push-ups
You can do push-ups in different ways, to shift the emphasis on some target muscle, you need to change the fulcrum. They say that there are about 50 push-ups variations! Here are the most popular ones:
1. Classic push-ups
The execution technique is familiar to everyone and it is as follows:
- starting position – It should be a straight line from head to toe. Toes and heels together;
- hands are set shoulder-width apart, palms pointing forward.
This type of push-ups work triceps, pectoral and deltoid muscles are trained.
When doing push-ups, it is important to monitor the position of the body – always keep your body in line.
Any bending of the body makes it easier to perform push-ups, but the effect of the exercise is sharply reduced.
As already mentioned, this push-up technique allows you to work out triceps, chest and deltas.
2. Knee push ups
This is a lightweight push-up variation suitable for beginners, females and people with vertebral diseases. This type of push-ups helps to relieve the load from the lumbar spine.
The initial posture is similar to the classic version, but the emphasis is on the knees. In this case, the feet are in a crossed position and are located above the floor.
3. Wide grip push ups
In this case, hands are placed at a distance two times the width of the shoulders. In this case, elbows are close to your ribs. Elbows are a little closer than shoulder width. In the process of lowering to the floor, it is important to monitor the preservation of the direction of the elbow joints to the sides. After touching the floor with the breast, it quickly rises to its original position.
The wider the arms are, the greater the load on the pectoral muscles.
4. Close grip push ups
Refers to complex types of push-ups, which helps to strengthen the triceps zone and deltoid muscles. In this case, the emphasis is placed solely on the palm of the hand with fingers slightly extended towards each other. The location of the lower extremities is slightly wider than the shoulder girdle.
In the process of push-ups, the elbows are laid back and slightly to the sides.
5. Push ups on one arm
This type of push-ups requires high stability. This can be achieved by legs spaced a wide distance from each other.
- place your right hand on the floor. Put your left hand behind your back in a slightly bent position;
- use special stops for maximum convenience;
- place your right hand along the body. At the same time, it does not shift to the sides.
It is important to consider that, unlike other types of push-ups, there are only three points of support in this, due to which the preservation of balance is achieved by widely spread legs.
During lowering, the elbow simultaneously bends and moves to the side. The chest should touch the floor, after which it takes up its original position. Throughout the training process, the shoulders are parallel to the floor. At the end of the first stage of push-ups, a change of hands is performed.
Well-developed abdominal muscles will help in this type of push-ups.
6. Explosive push ups
This type of push up effectively and quickly strengthens the muscles, while contributing to the development of speed and power indicators. In order to clap, the starting position must be correct: toes shoulder-width apart. And the arms should be placed twice as wide as the legs.
The training process is as follows:
- by means of a powerful push, the body is pushed up. In this case, the palms come off the floor and make a quick clap;
- gently return to the starting position;
- do not fall on the floor;
- after touching the floor, repeat the exercise.
Hand movements should be characterized by rhythm, coherence and speed. This type of push-ups is a part of the boxers workout. They are also great for athletes, as they increase endurance, as well as for fighters involved in various types of martial arts.
7. Push ups on the fingers
Push-ups with emphasis on the fingers helps to strengthen bone tissue and increase the stability of the hands. The main thing is to observe the emphasis exclusively on the fingers.
Doing this exercise is necessary with the development of good physical fitness and with sufficient finger strength so that they can hold the body as securely as possible. To strengthen the bones of the fingers, it is recommended to train with an expander.
8. Push ups with weights
This type of push-up is suitable for weightlifters or those who want to gain mass. It is important to use specially designed weights that can increase the load, due to which there is a maximum and high-quality work of muscle tissue.
As weights, special weighted vests are most often used. Such an inventory is also suitable for pull-ups and dips lovers.
In the absence of a vest, an ordinary plate from the bar will do. However, it must be used carefully and preferably in the presence of a person who must monitor the correct location of the plate on the back. The process itself must also be performed with caution.
Read also: HIIT workout
It is recommended to start such push-ups with a small weight, which must be increased gradually. One kg per week should be added.
9. Deep push ups
High efficiency is achieved by increasing the amplitude of motion. You can use the fulcrum in the form of three chairs at home. Replace chairs with special stands up to 15 cm high.
Items that you want to use as a support should be reliable so that you do not fall to the floor during push-ups. For this, special push-up handles are great. Well, at home, the role of the stand is excellent for books.
Recommendations for incline and decline push ups
So, the technique and types of push-ups have been considered. Now is the time to learn about the important tips that should be followed:
- Carefully study the simple technique of doing push-ups. When placing hands on a flat surface, there should be no discomfort in the elbow and wrist joints.
- Increase joint flexibility. Immediately before push-ups, it is important to warm up quite carefully .
- To avoid injuries and stretch marks, it is useful to wear bandages or special wristbands on your wrists. Such protection becomes particularly relevant when performing explosive push-ups.
- Sometimes achieving maximum amplitude is not always possible. Increase amplitude with supports.
- The difficulty of push-ups is directly proportional to the position of the legs. The higher their location, the more difficult. Athletes with many years of experience perform push-ups only in this way.
- It is important to remember to follow a balanced diet. Muscle gain requires sufficient amount of meat and vegetable products.
Push-ups are quite effective and at the same time least time-consuming workout, which allows you to maintain a great figure.
The usefulness of such exercises is evidenced by their ancient history. The first mention of push-ups occurred several thousand years ago. As you can see, they remain very relevant today, since push-ups are often included in training programs. We don’t suggest you jump right into ALL of the push-up techniques that we’ve provided to you. Start smarter than harder! So many people who have no experience with exercise don’t take the time to stretch, learn and practice the movements. Instead, he or she starts with the hardest or most complex movement or exercise and ends up injured. We do not want this to happen to you! Be patient. Getting in shape, losing weight and burning fat, building muscle or becoming leaner takes a lot of time. Professional athletes and bodybuilders worked hard for years to look the way they do. So, what makes YOU think that your body will change overnight? It just won’t happen. Push-ups are an excellent way to get in shape. Some might laugh this off and think that push-ups don’t have much of an impact on the body or can’t possibly make THAT much of a difference. But if you actually plan out a routine and do push-ups at a minimum of 3x a week along with cardio and some other weight training routine, you will definitely notice a gradual change each and every time you look in the mirror!